Italian hacker Luca Todesco aka qwertyoruiop has released the first public jailbreak tool for iOS 10.
Yalu has been tested on iPhone 6S, 6S Plus, 7, 7 Plus and iPad Pro on iOS 10.1.1. A later version of this tool will be suitable for other devices as well.
The jailbreak tool is still unstable and initially released only for experienced users. It is recommended to wait for a stable version. The jailbreak works only up to iOS 10.1.1 because Apple has closed a needed security exploit in iOS 10.2.
A further limitation is that the jailbreak has to be re-executed after reboot. Since iOS 10.1 as well as 10.1.1 are no longer signed, the return to these versions is difficult.
Note – The developer has admitted it has a lot of bugs as it is in beta stage. In this how to tutorial, we list all necessary steps to jailbreak your device using Yalu and Cydia Impactor.
Yalu Jailbreak Supported Devices
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPad Pro
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 5S
- iPad Air
- iPad Air 2
- iPad Mini 2
- iPad Mini 3
- iPad Mini 4
- iPod touch 6G
Preparing your device for Yalu jailbreak
- Prior to jailbreak, make a complete backup of all important data on your device. You can use iTunes or iCloud to accomplish this.
- Disable the pass code and Find My iPhone.
- Make sure your device is compatible with Yalu jailbreak.
- Since it requires Cydia Impactor tool, the jailbreak will stop working in 7 days. You will need to re-jailbreak your device afterwards.
- Create a new Apple ID here – appleid.apple.com required for signing the jailbreak app.
Jailbreak iOS 10 with Yalu + Cydia Impactor on Windows/Mac/Linux [TUTORIAL]
Step 2 Open Impactor_0.9.3.dmg file you downloaded in the previous step.
Step 3 Drag Impactor to the applications folder.
Step 4 Open the Applications folder and double click on Impactor to run it. You will get a prompt as shown below, click Open.
Step 5 Connect your device to the computer with Lightning USB cable.
Step 6 Drag mach_portal + yalu-b3.ipa package to Cydia Impactor window.
Step 7 You will then be prompted for your Apple ID. Enter your Apple ID. Enter your password and accept. (We recommend not to use your own Apple ID here, but to create a new Apple ID specifically for it)
Step 9 Now click Start to begin the installation process.
Step 10 Once installed, leave your computer and get hold of your device. Go to Settings > General > Device Management. Go to the profile you just installed with the corresponding Apple ID. Tap Trust and Confirm.
Step 11 Exit Settings and run mach_portal app. You will get a blank screen for a duration of 30 seconds. Wait as your iPhone/iPad Pro automatically performs a respring.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed iOS 10 jailbreak your iOS device. You can now open Cydia and install apps and tweaks as you wish. Here’s our jailbroken device running Cydia.
How to Re-Jailbreak with Mach Portal
- As mentioned above, Yalu is temporarily disabled after restarting your device. A re-execution of the Yalu Jailbreak app is necessary for the jailbreak to start again. To do this, simply run the mach_portal app again.
- Secondly, run Substrate Fix to enable Cydia Substrate. Don’t worry, all your Cydia tweaks and apps will remain fine after a reboot.
How to Unjailbreak/De-Jailbreak Yalu
- To unjailbreak or de-jailbreak, simply restart your device.
- Do not run mach_portal app.
- Since all Cydia icons will remain on your home screen, put them in a folder.
Don’t use iCloud to wipe your data as it can result in errors. Some users are not even able to re-jailbreak after using this method.
How to make Yalu Jailbreak more stable
Step 1 Add these repos to Cydia –
Step 2 Add the following tweaks via Cydia –
- Substrate Fix (iOS 10) – This tool enables Cydia Substrate.
Performing the steps given above will make the Yalu beta much more stable.
What to do after Jailbreaking with Yalu
- Bricking your device is impossible with Yalu. If something goes haywire, just restore with iTunes.
- SHSH2 blobs are required for Prometheus tool which allows you to downgrade to an unsigned firmware version. This will work only if you have your blobs saved for that particular firmware. Without SHSH2 blobs, you cannot downgrade or upgrade to an unsigned firmware.
- If you are still on iOS 10.1 or iOS 10.1.1 you should backup SHSH2 Blobs of iOS 10.2. It is important to do so as it is being signed by Apple. If Apple stops signing it, you may be able to upgrade your device at a later date and jailbreak it.
- The same applies, of course, to iOS 9.3.3 users, who are currently using the jailbreak. Back up your SHSH2 Blobs and wait for iOS 10.2 jailbreak update. This is the safest way to ensure a jailbreak.
- DO NOT use Erase all Content and Settings option. It is known to cause many issues.
- Check our iOS 10 Tweak Compatibility list. Make sure a tweak you want to install is fully compatible with iOS 10 first.
- It is not recommended to install pirated tweaks and apps. It is highly likely that they contain malware/adware that can cause issues.
- Follow our Troubleshooting and Errors FAQ if you are facing errors and issues with this jailbreak.
After completing the above steps, follow these guides to get the most out of your iOS device.
- Yalu Jailbreak iOS 10 – Errors and Troubleshooting [FAQ]
- Top 20 Free Cydia Apps/Tweaks of 2017
- Best Cydia Repo/Sources for iOS 10 [2017 List]
- How to Fix Cydia not Installed on Yalu iOS 10 Jailbreak
- Download and Install Cydia 1.1.28 Update to Fix iOS 10.1.1 Jailbreak Issues
- NoAppExpire – Remove 7-day limit for Cydia Impactor certificates
- List of Cydia Tweaks Compatible with Yalu iOS 10 Jailbreak
- How to Fix LTE, FaceTime and iMessage Errors on Yalu jailbreak
That’s it for now, folks! If you face any problems and issues, leave your comments in the comments section below.