Although Saurik is yet to push an update, some users are already running Cydia Substrate on iOS 11. Here’s how you can install Substrate on iOS 11-11.1.2 firmware with Electra Jailbreak toolkit.
Table of Contents
Does Cydia Substrate support iOS 11?
Cydia Substrate is yet to receive an update for iOS 11-11.1.2 versions. However, you can still run its older version by pulling it off of Saurik’s APT repository.
Even though Coolstar’s developer toolkit doesn’t have inbuilt Substrate, you can still install it manually.
It is completely safe to install it and a lot of tweaks are working with this version. You just need to ensure you are installing a compatible tweak and you will be good to go.
Before you decide to jump the gun, here’s what you must keep in mind.
- This is not the official updated version. If you are a beginner, I would still recommend waiting for a proper update.
- Coolstar warns users not to install any fix on iOS 11. It can break Sandbox, Substitute, future versions, and will not work with the unjailbreak.sh bash script.
- You must manually remove any files you move with this method.
Download Cydia Substrate
How to install Cydia Substrate on iOS 11-11.1.2
1. Prepare your device
Step 1 Install ZipApp Free from the official App Store. This application will allow you to unarchive the contents of Debian package.
Step 2 Download Debian package and dylib file from the direct download link above. Be sure to open it in Safari web browser only.
Step 3 Open this file in ZipApp free.
Step 4 Extract its contents in the same directory. You will now get the following 3 files –
Step 5 Extract the data.tar.Izma package. It contains the CydiaSubstrate.framework file in – data > Library > Frameworks.
2. Transfer files
Step 6 Download FilzaEscaped from this link and open it.
Step 7 (Optional) If you don’t want to use Filza, you can use the good old SFTP method as well. You will need to establish an SFTP session with your device using WinSCP or Cyberduck tools as shown here.
Step 8 Transfer the following files to specific locations as indicated –
- CydiaSubstrate.framework file to this location – /Library/Frameworks
- libsubstrate.dylib file to this location – /usr/lib
3. Install Substrate-based tweaks
Step 9 You can now install jailbreak tweaks using the following tutorial. Ensure you follow the second method only.
Remember, do not use the .dylib file present in the Debian package. That file happens to have the same name but it is just a system link.