The Odyssey developer team has released a pre-release build of its iOS 13 jailbreak. Here’s how you can download and install Odyssey jailbreak on your iPhone or iPad.
Table of Contents
What is Odyssey?
Odyssey is a semi-untethered jailbreak for Apple devices running the iOS 13.0-13.5 operating system. It is the brainchild of developer Coolstar.
Unlike unc0ver (that uses a proprietary exploit), Odyssey relies on an exploit based on Ian Beer’s work. If you’re on iOS 13.0-13.3, you’ll be using the time_waste exploit. If you’re on iOS 13.3.1-13.5, you’ll be using the lightspeed exploit.
It is the very first jailbreak that is designed almost entirely using Swift language.
Odyssey also provides users with a faster and more stable experience and offers full support for the latest iPhone, iPad, and iPod devices.
Odyssey comes with the Procursus bootstrap and a revolutionary new tweak injection system called libhooker that is designed with speed and performance in mind.
For those who don’t know, libhooker is the successor of the aging Substrate tweak injection system developed by Saurik.
It allows users to exercise full freedom of choice and can install the package manager of their choice. If you don’t like the default installer, you can install Zebra, Installer, or Cydia!
Furthermore, this project is fully open-source as a tribute to s0uthwes, who, unfortunately, passed away a few months ago.
The success rates of the Odyssey on various firmware are given below:
- iOS 13.0-13.3: 90+%
- iOS 13.3.1: untested
- iOS 13.4/13.4.1: 50%
- iOS 13.5: 90%
Ideally, you want to be on iOS 13.3 or 13.5, but iOS 13.4 should be fine too.
- WARNING – The “leaked” pre-release build has stability issues and migration support for unc0ver does not work at the moment. So, we DO NOT recommend installing this version on your main device. If you wish to use Odyssey on your daily driver, wait for a stable build to drop.
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 6/6S
- iPhone 6/6S Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 7/7 Plus
- iPhone 8/8 Plus
- iPhone X
- iPad Mini (5th generation)
- iPad Air (2019, 3rd generation)
- iPad Pro (10.5-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (2nd generation)
- iPad (9.7-inch)
- iPad Mini 2
- iPad Mini 3
- iPad Mini 4
- iPad Pro (1st-Generation)
- iPad Air (2nd-generation)
- iPad (5th-generation)
- iPod Touch (7th-generation)
Supported iOS Operating Systems
Download Odyssey Jailbreak IPA
- v1.1.1 – Fixes freezes and memory leaks in older versions.
- v1.1.0 – Fixes the black screen issue with certain tweaks upon jailbreaking, including (but not limited to) AppStore++. It also adds support for custom themes and colors in the Odyssey app. It is recommended to reboot into the unjailbroken state and re-apply the jailbreak with this new IPA.
- v1.0.2 – Fixes intermittent kernel panics that could happen of “unexpected exec of non-platform binary”. The included Sileo build now properly asks for network connection on Chinese devices.
- v1.0.1 – Fixes sideloading issues.
- v1.0 – The first non-beta release.
- Beta 3 – Fix applications hanging. Fix apps crashing on launch. Fix black screen after jailbreak. Adds a new SG Lux League of Legends theme.
- Beta 2 – Improve exploit reliability for A11/A12 devices. Fix UI scaling for iPhone SE, 6S, 7, 8, and SE 2. Adds a new theme in the options. Migration support is still broken. If you are using another jailbreak tool, be sure to use the RootFS Restore option first.
- iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
- iOS 13.0-13.5
- A computer running macOS or Windows
How to jailbreak iOS 13.0-13.5 with Odyssey
Setup and Install AltStore
Step 1 Download and install iTunes on your PC/Mac. If you already have it on your system, move onto the next step.
Step 2 Install iCloud for Windows from the official Apple website. Log in to iCloud with your Apple ID and password.
Step 3 Download AltStore sideloading utility on your computer. We will use Windows in this tutorial. However, the installation process remains the same for macOS.
Step 4 Open the AltStore archive and extract the following files – AltInstaller and Setup – to a folder called AltStore on your desktop or another location.
Step 5 Now double-click on Setup, select Next, choose the installation destination, and click Next.
Step 6 Go to the installation location – C:\Program Files (x86)\AltServer. This is the default installation directory.
Step 7 Right-click on AltServer and click on Run as Administrator.
Step 8 Connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to your PC/Mac.
Step 9 Now open the hidden icons in the taskbar. Open AltServer, then select Install AltStore and click on your device from the dropdown menu.
Step 10 Key in your Apple ID username and password to install AltStore on your Apple device.
Step 11 Enter the two-factor authentication code sent to your device and click Submit. Wait for the installation to finish.
Step 12 The app should now appear on your home screen. Before you open it, navigate to Settings > General > Device Management and tap on your Apple ID email.
Step 13 Tap Trust <your Apple ID email> to authorize the AltStore application.
Install Odyssey Jailbreak IPA on your device
Step 14 Open Safari and download the latest IPA file using the link given above.
Step 15 Once you download the desired IPA file, select it from Safari’s built-in download manager.
Step 16 Tap the “open with” icon in the top-right corner of the display.
Step 17 Tap Copy to AltStore to send the IPA file to AltStore for sideloading. If the “Copy to AltStore” doesn’t appear on the screen, tap More, scroll down, and select Copy to AltStore.
Step 18 Once AltStore installs the jailbreak application, go back to your home screen, and run Odyssey.
Step 19 Tap Jailbreak to kickstart the exploitation process. Make sure the Enable Tweaks option is enabled. Remember, the default settings should suffice for average users.
Step 20 Wait for the exploitation process to get over. Once the jailbreak is complete, the app will display the “Jailbroken” message. Exit the app and go back to the home screen.
Launch Sileo Package Manager
Step 22 Start installing your favorite packages with Sileo!
That’s all there’s to it! If you are looking to test Odyssey out on a spare device, then by all means do it.
Security researcher Tihmstar has confirmed that the alpha build is stable and he’s using it on his daily driver without any issues.
Known Issues and Bugs
Since Odyssey jailbreak is in the alpha development stage, some bugs and glitches are to be expected. Here’s the complete list of bug and errors users are experiencing right now:
- unc0ver users are getting the “ERR_JAILBREAK” and “ERR_TFP0” error messages while jailbreaking.
- The exploit is not reliable on certain devices and operating systems.
- Migration support for unc0ver jailbreak is broken.
- App Store apps such as Reddit and Messenger can crash.
- Release the first public beta build. The Odyssey developer team is working hard to release the first stable beta version for users as soon as possible.
- Release a jailbreak for Apple Watch.
If you run into issues while jailbreaking, please feel free to leave a comment below.