With the release of Electra 1.1.0, Coolstar has also released the first public version of Sileo. Here’s how you can download and install it on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Sileo is a modern alternative to Cydia – the stock jailbreak package manager – for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. It is developed by Coolstar and Nullpixel, the leading members of the Electra development team.
Beginning with iOS 11, Sileo is all set to completely replace the aging installer by Saurik with a fast and lightweight installer. Here’s a quick rundown of its features and functions –
- It loads tweaks and packages at blazing fast speeds.
- It also trims a lot of fat from the “Sources” section with the all-new “repo unclutterer” that refreshes sources almost instantly.
- A clean, flat user interface that has the same look and feel as that of the stock App Store app.
Before you install this new Cydia replacement on your device, here are a few things you should keep in mind –
- Some functionality and features are still missing or may not work as expected.
- Since this is a beta preview, some bugs might have crept in.
- Only payments through the Dynastic Development repository are supported for now.
- Update (February 24, 2018) – Sileo 0.8 Beta 2 is now fully compatible with iOS 12 on non-jailbroken devices. It does NOT support unc0ver at the moment.
- Beta preview 2 – The “Get” button is now twice as fast, fixed broken the “Get” button bug and the appearance of payment providers for iPad users.
Which firmware versions are compatible?
- 11.4 Beta 1,2, and 3
- 12.2 Beta 1,2 and 3
Does Sileo work with iOS 12/12.1 or above?
Unfortunately, it doesn’t work with iOS 12, 12.0.1, 12.1 or higher versions. For those of you who don’t know, a jailbreak package manager requires root access to function.
Since iOS 12 and above versions do not have a public jailbreak available, Sileo can’t work on them. Several disreputable individuals are pushing bogus and virus-laden versions of both Sileo and Cydia on websites like YouTube.
If you wish to run Sileo on your iOS 12 device, your best bet is to bookmark this page and keep a tab on the compatibility section above.
- iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
- A compatible firmware version
- Electra jailbreak v1.1.0 or unc0ver jailbreak
- Sileo IPA file (only for non-jailbroken iOS 12 users)
How to download and install Sileo on iOS 11.0-11.3.1-11.4 Beta 3
Step 1 Open Cydia.
Step 2 Go to the Sources section, scroll down, and tap on Electra’s iOS Utilities source – the default repository of Electra jailbreak.
Step 3 Scroll down and tap on the Sileo (Beta) package and press Install.
Step 4 Wait for the installation to complete and tap Restart SpringBoard.
Step 5 Go back to your home screen and launch the Sileo app.
So how do you like this new Cydia alternative by Coolstar? Leave your comments below.
As of right now, unc0ver jailbreak is currently incompatible because it is designed primarily for Electra users. In spite of that, the developer team of unc0ver jailbreak is working on a new patch that will hopefully be released soon.
Warning – There’s a Debian package of Sileo floating around on Twitter. Although this package is legitimate, it can conflict with your setup and brick Cydia. If you are able to access Cydia, uninstall it as soon as possible.
Update – You can now safely install Sileo on unc0ver.
Step 1 Open Cydia.
Step 2 Go to Sources tab. Tap Edit > Add and enter the URL of PixelOmer’s repository – http://www.pixelomer.com/repo
Step 3 Now go to the Search tab and enter “Sileo Installer”. What this package does it, it lets you use Cydia along with Sileo without any issues.
Step 4 Tap Install to install the package from its official repository. Press Confirm and wait for the installation to commence.
Step 5 Once the installation finishes, tap Restart SpringBoard.
Step 6 Go back to your home screen and run the all-new jailbreak package manager by Coolstar.
Step 1 Launch Cydia Impactor and connect your device to your PC/Mac.
Step 2 Drag Sileo’s IPA file over to Cydia Impactor.
Step 3 Enter your Apple ID username and password.
Step 4 Wait for the installation to finish.
Remember, the non-jailbreak version will not allow you to tweak the stock operating system. You can only use its user interface, which essentially makes this package manager useless if you are into tweaking and modding.
The development team plans to introduce new features and support to their package manager. Here’s what you can expect from the upcoming versions of Sileo.
- Payment support coming to Chariz (formerly HashBang repo).
- Source code will be soon get published on GitHub.
- The initial build will be distributed on a new Cydia repository.