A lot of users are now running tweaks on their devices. However, not many of them of can enter Settings and tweak the tweaks. Here’s why this happens and how you can fix it easily.
Table of Contents
Why are tweaks not showing up in Settings?
Tweaks are working perfectly fine with Electra development toolkit. The real problem lies with the users who are unsure about the whole installation process and are erroneously copying files to incorrect locations.
Even if you install the tweak properly, here’s what you will get in the Settings app.
Although the tweak might work, you can’t install enter its Preference section and apply any changes or Settings.
Here are a few methods you can try to get rid of this bug.
How to get tweaks to show up in the Settings app
- Open Filza.
- Navigate to this location – /bootstrap/Library/PreferenceLoader.
- Create a new folder and name it Preferences.
- Copy all files inside the PreferenceLoader folder in the original tweak archive to this new folder (from Step 3).
- Ensure you copy other files to their respective locations as well. You can follow the complete tweak installation tutorial here.
- Check your Settings now.
Move the tweak data present in the archive to the root Library (/Library) folder. Not moving this data folder is yet another reason why your tweaks aren’t working properly.
Tweak data refers to any other folder present in the archive except MobileSubstrate, PreferenceBundles, and PreferenceLoader.
I suggest using this method only as a last resort. The behavior of tweaks is actually not dependent on this jailbreak or the exploit.
- Uninstall Electra jailbreak toolkit from your device. If you don’t know how to do that, you can follow this tutorial. This will completely wipe it off of your device.
- Re-jailbreak your device with Electra.
- Install all compatible tweaks for iOS 11-11.1.2.
- Open Anemone app.
- Respring your device.
- Download the tweaksupport.tar package from this link.
- Extract PreferenceLoader.dylib and Preferenceloader.plist files from this archive to any location on your computer. These files are required for loading the preferences or Settings section of a tweak. Your tweaks will work like they should but Settings will remain missing if these files aren’t present in the appropriate directory.
- Establish an SFTP session with your device via WinSCP.
- Go to /bootstrap/Library/SBInject transfer the aforementioned dylib and plist files if they aren’t already present.
Method 6 (for iOS 11.2-11.3.1 users)
- Open Cydia and add this repository – http://tigisoftware.com/cydia/
- Install Filza file manager.
- Navigate to this location – /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries.
- Tap Edit, select all files and tap Move.
- Go to this location – /usr/lib/TweakInject
- Paste the files you copied in step 4 here.
- Navigate to /Library/MobileSubstrate again and delete the DynamicLibraries folder.
- Tap Edit > More > Symbolic Link.
- Go to /usr/lib/ and select the TweakInject folder.
- Rename the TweakInject symlink present in /Library/MobileSubstrate folder to DynamicLibraries. Remember, you must rename the symlink, not the original folder.
- Reinstall Tweak Injector and PreferenceLoader packages from Cydia.
- Now tweaks will appear in your Settings as soon as you restart the Springboard.
For more jailbreak tips and tricks, give us a thumbs up on Twitter and Facebook.