Months after the release of iOS 10.2.1, a working jailbreak for this firmware has just been released. Here’s how you can download and install it on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Table of Contents
What is Saigon?
Saigon is an iOS 10.2.1 jailbreak and nonce setter tool based on ziVA, triple_fetch, and extra_recipe exploits. It is developed by Abraham Masri aka cheesecakeufo, who is a newcomer on the jailbreak scene.
It doesn’t use new exploits and only chains together existing exploits to jailbreak your device. Here’s how it works –
- As soon as you press the Jailbreak button, it runs Ian Beer’s triple_fetch exploit.
- triple_fetch then passes the privileged port to Adam Donenfeld’s ziVA exploit. It will then connect to the buggy driver for the sandbox escape.
- Once the sandbox escape is in place, the tool will then run the extra_recipe’s KPP bypass .
- If the KPP bypass is successful, you will get Cydia on your home screen.
- If the process fails, reboot your device and try again.
The developer has released it specifically because some other developers were not releasing anything despite having a working jailbreak.
Does the nonce Setter work?
The nonce setter that comes bundled with Saigon is compatible with iOS 10.2.1-10.3.3 versions. But since Apple has already stopped signing iOS 10.3.3, you can no longer use it to downgrade to unsigned iOS 10 firmware.
The only way it can prove useful is if someone tries to upgrade to unsigned iOS 11 versions using the latest signed iOS 11 version. This will only matter if a jailbreak for iOS 11 drops somewhere down the line.
All in all, it’s pretty much useless if your device is not running iOS 10.2.1.
Here’s how you can download and install it on your device.
Download Saigon IPA
- October 22 – iPod touch 6 is now fully compatible.
- October 21 – Beta 2 Release Candidate 1 is out.
- October 21 – Beta 2 is out now, download below. It fixes the camera not working and brings support for iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s plus, iPad mini 4, iPad Air 2. You can also reinstall Cydia automatically using a button.
- October 17 – Only iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s are compatible right now.
- October 16 – The developer has uploaded a new working IPA file, you can download it below. Method 1 is now fully functional.
- October 6 – iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 plus are incompatible as this tool uses yalu102’s KPP bypass, which works only up till iOS 10.1.1.
- October 6 – The new mirror of the IPA file is now live. The mirror was created because the developer removed the older download link.
- October 5 – The developer has removed the IPA file because of certain issues. Hence, method 1 is no longer working. Now, you must follow method 2 given below and compile it using XCode.
As far as compatibility goes, only 64-bit devices having the AppleAVEH7 driver are compatible. If your device has a different driver, you will need to apply your own patch manually.
Here’s the complete list of all supported devices according to the developer.
- iPhone 5s (experimental)
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 7 (incompatible)
- iPhone 7 plus (incompatible)
- iPad Air
- iPad Air 2
- iPad Pro
- iPad mini 2
- iPad mini 3
- iPad mini 4
- iPod touch 6
- A compatible iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- iOS 10.2.1 firmware
- A computer running Windows, macOS or Linux
- Cydia Impactor
- Internet Connection
How to jailbreak iOS 10.2.1 with Saigon jailbreak
Step 1 Download the Saigon.ipa file using the link above.
Step 2 This tool follows the standard installation procedure. Now, download Cydia Impactor utility here.
Step 3 Connect your device to your computer and ensure that Cydia Impactor recognizes it.
Step 4 Once your device is present in the dropdown list of Impactor, simply drag the IPA file onto it.
Step 5 It will now prompt you to install your Apple ID credentials. Simply enter your email ID and password.
Step 6 The jailbreak application will now be present on your home screen. If it’s there, disconnect your device from your computer.
Step 7 Since the app is installed using your own Apple ID, you must “trust” it first. Go to Settings > General > Profiles & Device Management and trust the certificate associated with it.
Step 8 Open the app and tap the Jailbreak button to start the jailbreak process.
Remember, it may or may not be successful on the very first try. Keep trying again and again and it will eventually work. You can also try the following trick to increase its success rate.
- Reboot your device.
- Close all applications from the App Switcher
- Enable airplane mode
- Open the jailbreak app.
- Wait for 10-20 seconds.
- Tap the jailbreak button.
- Download the Xcode project from this link.
- Open it on your Mac.
- Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from the top left section.
- Run the project.
- Open the jailbreak application from the home screen and tap the jailbreak button.
How to re-jailbreak after reboot
A lot of users have been complaining about their jailbreak going kaput after a reboot. This is how Saigon is supposed to work since it is semi-untethered.
Here’s how you can re-jailbreak after every time you restart your iOS device.
- Open the jailbreak application from your home screen.
- Run the tool as shown in the tutorial above.
- Repeat this process after each reboot.
Did you get it working?
Most users are on iOS 10.3.3 or have updated to iOS 11 so its utility will remain limited. In spite of this, it’s still great to have someone releasing a jailbreak for iOS 10.2.1.
If you get it working on your device, please consider leaving a comment below.
For more jailbreak releases and downloads, follow us on Facebook and Twitter.