More than two years after its release, Apple watch finally has a jailbreak! Download OverCl0ck jailbreak for watchOS 3 below.
Table of Contents
What is OverCl0ck?
OverCl0ck is a proof-of-concept jailbreak for watchOS 3. It is developed by the eminent jailbreak developer, Ben Sparkes.
This tool utilizes Siguza’s v0rtex exploit to get root access on the Apple Watch. It is still in early development phase and doesn’t offer anything to the average user.
Here’s what you can do right now and contribute to OverCl0ck –
- Add proper offsets for your firmware using Tihmstar’s OffsetFinder tool.
- Add offsets to v0rtex exploit.
- Submit your updates to the developer’s GitHub page.
- Add the necessary provisioning profile for the tool.
If you intend to work on this tool, I suggest giving Max Bazaliy’s presentations on exploitation a read. This tool borrows heavily from Max’s work.
Only the following models are compatible.
- Apple Watch Series 1
- Apple Watch Series 2
Series 3 comes loaded with watchOS 4 out of the box. Therefore, it is incompatible because this tool uses v0rtex, which only supports watchOS 3.
Here’s the full list of all compatible Apple Watch versions –
If you are a developer, you can download the necessary files using the link below. Remember, there’s no IPA yet and you must compile everything yourself to test it on your smartwatch.
Warning – This tool is not even in alpha stage. I highly recommend NOT to use it and wait for a stable build.
- XCode project (official link)
This jailbreak tool is intended for developers only. According to the developer, it’s not complete and “barely works”.
Here are a few components of this tool that still require development. These components will be a part of the upcoming versions of this jailbreak tool.
- Fix watch_offsetfinder utility to find offsets correctly.
- Fix v0rtex exploit.
- Add kernel patches
- Codesigning patch
- Mount root filesystem with full read/write permissions
- Add SSH support with Dropbear client
- Find reliable way to transfer files to Watch
- Port Comex’s Substitute (Substrate alternative) to watchOS 3
- Add a Cydia-like package installer for running tweaks
For more jailbreak scene news and updates, give us a like on Twitter and Facebook.