A few days back we told you that a jailbreak for Apple TV was in the works. Today we have some good news for you. Hacker Jonathan Levin aka Morpheus has released LiberTV jailbreak for Apple TV on tvOS 10.
Here’s how to use it.
Table of Contents
How LiberTV tvOS 10 Jailbreak Works
LiberTV jailbreak is based on Luca’s Yalu jailbreak exploit. The jailbreak comes in the form of an IPA package that must be sideloaded with Cydia Impactor.
It is semi-untethered and can be installed on any version of tvOS except tvOS 10.1.1.
The IPA file includes a modified 64 bit archive bootstrap.tar with /bin/sh -> /bin/bash, Dropbear and some other tools/binaries.
Before you begin, keep the following things in mind.
- tvOS 10.1.1 firmware is not compatible as it breaks the exploit. There’s no way to downgrade tvOS 10.1.1 to 10.1 either.
- Apple TV 3rd generation is not compatible with this jailbreak tool. If you own an Apple TV 3G, you are out of luck as it will never likely be jailbroken.
Which tvOS Firmware are Compatible with LiberTV jailbreak?
- tvOS 9.1
- tvOS 10
- tvOS 10.0.1
- tvOS 10.1
- Download LiberTV.ipa file
- Download Cydia Impactor
- A working Apple TV 4G device
- A USB-C cable
- A computer running Windows/macOS/Linux
How to Jailbreak Apple TV 4th gen with LiberTV on tvOS 9.1/10/10.0.1/10.1
Step 1 Firstly, connect Apple TV 4G to the computer using a USB-C cable. Ensure that it is switched ON. If iTunes starts when you connect, close it.
Step 2 Open Cydia Impactor utility. DO NOT run it as “administrator”. Now you need to install LiberTV IPA file with Cydia Impactor tool. If you don’t know how to do this, follow this tutorial on how to use Cydia Impactor.
Step 3 Wait till Cydia Impactor recognizes your Apple TV 4G. Install LiberTV IPA by dragging it to Cydia Impactor window.
Step 4 Cydia Impactor will prompt to you to enter your Apple ID and password. Enter your details and wait for the installation to finish. If Cydia Impactor throws errors, follow the Cydia Impactor Error FAQ.
Step 5 Hook your Apple TV 4 to your TV using HDMI.
Step 6 Start LiberTV app from your Apple TV 4 interface.
Step 7 You will now get a couple of options. However, not all of them are necessary. Just select these options –
- Perform kernel patches
- Remount root filesystem
- Disable auto-updates after success (You must disable the auto-update feature. This will protect your jailbreak and you will not accidentally end up installing the latest tvOS firmware.)
Once you have selected these options, select “Do it!”.
Step 8 If it throws the “KERN PROC” error, select “OK” option. This can take a few tries.
Step 9 If you get “Unsupported KPP Layout” error, select the “Live dangerously” option as shown below.
Step 10 After several tries, the jailbreak will eventually be successful. You will now get this screen.
That’s all there’s to it! For more information, follow this video tutorial.
How to Jailbreak Apple TV 4th Generation running tvOS 10 with LiberTV
Posted by Yalu Jailbreak on Sunday, March 5, 2017
Your Apple TV 4 is now jailbroken. Follow the steps below to stay safe.
What to do After LiberTV Jailbreak
- If you restart your device, you will lose the jailbreak. Run the LiberTV app again to put your Apple TV in jailbreak mode.
- DO NOT install nitoTV as is not compatible with LiberTV jailbreak at the moment. It can brick your Apple TV so refrain from using it. The developer has sent all builds of nitoTV offline for safety of users.
- Create a backup copy of /System/Library/Caches/apticket.der just to stay on safe side.
- Follow LiberTV Jailbreak FAQ for any errors or questions you may have.
As always, if you face any error or issue, don’t forget to drop a comment below.
Please give us a thumbs up on Facebook and Twitter.
I jailbreaked my Apple TV 4 with tvos 10.1, but every 7 days will redo again like the kodi ipa side load every 7 days even you not restart or power off the Apple TV 4, any help please, thank you
hello, Nick. Yes, you need to sideload it every 7 days.
But when the libertv jailbreak came out and I jailbreaked never need side load for every 7 days,until last month I unplug the power, then I need do every 7 days
That’s weird. By default, Apple imposes 7 day signing limit after which you need to resign.