Another day, another tweak. AppStore++ lets you easily downgrade App Store apps. Here’s how you can download and install it on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod.
Table of Contents
How AppStore++ works
Once you install an app, Apple restricts users from installing future updates. Unfortunately, there’s no way to go back if you use stock firmware. That is precisely where this new tweak comes in.
AppStore++ allows you to manually downgrade applications and games straight from the App Store. It is developed by renowned Snapchat hacker Cokepokes.
AppStore++ is fairly simple to use and comes with just two options –
- Upgrade/Downgrade – Upgrades the app to the latest version.
- Manual Install (Advanced) – Manually install any version/build number of an app.
Here’s how this tweak looks like in action.
Since this tool is fresh out of the oven, its database is rather small. However, once users start tinkering around and installing apps from the App Store, the size of its database will increase.
According to the developer, you can help populate the database by manually downgrading apps.
How to downgrade App Store apps and games
New App Store applications
Step 1 Open the App Store app.
Step 2 Go to the Search tab and type in the name of the app you want to downgrade.
Step 3 Once the App Store returns the search results, select the desired app.
Step 4 Long press Get or the “Cloud” icon.
Step 5 Tap the Manual Install (Advanced) button to manually install an older version of the app. The Upgrade/Downgrade feature will pull and install the latest version of the app on your device.
Step 6 It will now open MixRank, a service that tracks the versions and the build numbers of App Store apps. Zoom in and tap the “build number” of the version you want to downgrade your app to.
For example, selecting 826274816 will install version 10.28.0 of Snapchat.
Step 7 Tap Done and wait for the App Store to install the app.
Existing App Store applications
- Apart from downgrading new applications, you can also downgrade existing apps. But before you do that, uninstall that app from your iPhone or iPad and then repeat the steps given above.
- AppStore++ utility can not install older versions of apps on-the-fly like App Admin. Therefore, if you try to downgrade an already installed app as shown below, it will fail.
Download AppStore++ Cydia tweak
Cokepokes’ latest offering is a stellar alternative to App Admin by Enea Gjoka.
If you are an UnlimApps fan, you should definitely take this new tweak for a test drive. Just be sure to uninstall App Admin before you download it to avoid conflicts. Highly recommended!
AppStore++ is available for download on cokepokes.github.io for free. It is compatible with iOS 11.0-13.5.
Again, this utility may or may not properly work on your device and firmware combination. If that’s the case, uninstall it and reinstall App Admin.
Known issues and bugs
- Not working on select devices and operating system versions.
- Apps don’t download after tapping the downgrade button in some instances.
Check out our Facebook and Twitter pages for more Cydia launches.