Another day, another tweak. This new tweak aims to bring powerful ad blocking features to stock iOS. Here’s how it works.
How AdMissile works
There are a lot of ad blocking solutions for jailbreak users but most of them are outdated or are not regularly updated. This new tweak solves that problem once and for all.
AdMissile Cydia tweak is a lightweight ad blocker that blocks a wide range of ad servers. It is developed by tweak developer, pwn20wnd.
It makes a lot of modifications to the hosts file. Here’s how it works –
- Move the original hosts file to another location.
- Copy a new file in place of the original hosts file.
- Modify this new file.
- Apply the blacklist to the new file.
- Restart the necessary system services.
This ad blocker is extremely simple to use and requires no setup once you install it. It also doesn’t have any Settings section.
AdMissile vs Minimal Hosts Blocker
Minimal Hosts Blocker is, without a doubt, the most popular ad blocker for jailbreak users. It is feature-rich and has a good blacklist but it pales in comparison to this new ad blocker.
AdMissile just blows it out of the water in every area, here’s why –
- It comes with a better and more diverse blacklist comprising over 800 ad servers.
- It weighs just 10.9KB and has no effect on the battery life.
- Other ad blockers leave behind unused garbage files once you uninstall them. This problem doesn’t exist in this case as it cleans everything up once you uninstall it from your iOS device.
- Since the hosts file is modified, it will also work in non-jailbreak mode. This is a great feature if your jailbreak is unstable or if it reaches its expiration date and you are unable to renew its certificate.
- No reboot is required after installing this ad blocker.
Download AdMissile tweak
Therefore, if you want a lightweight, no-frills ad blocker for iOS, this is it. Go ahead and download it to nuke those ads to the stratosphere. Highly recommended.
AdMissile is available for download on pwn20wnd’s Cydia repo (pwn20wnd.com/repo). It is compatible with iOS 9 and 10.
Its latest version is 1.1 and the developer will release bug fixes and other updates soon.
For more tweaks and releases, follow us on Twitter and Facebook.